Thursday, August 20, 2020

Fantail sculpture (commission)











This was long due but its finally finished! A sculpture of a Fantail bird commissioned by a client.

Definitely my most challenging sculpture so far, it's tail feathers gave me some problems 
(sculpey is surprisingly heavy even when flattened out) the heavyess of the tail caused the bird's legs to give out and it started bending backwards causing the mass around the legs to crumble; as a result the bird lost it's balance and it couldn't stand up even with the platform under it's feet.

Despite me trying to give it support during the baking process the problem remained and it was now stuck in an awkward position, in the end I made an additional log that I tucked firmly under its behind and that seemed to work! It can now stand up without falling over (with a little wobble..)

No comments:

Post a Comment